I’m an English wine and drinks writer, currently based in Amsterdam. I write mostly but not exclusively about organic, biodynamic and natural wines. And I’m a little bit obsessed with orange wines.

Fermented grape juice has been my passion for the last 15 years. Originally I just drunk the stuff, then started studying, and finally got the urge to communicate. My writing career began in 2011 with this blog.

I’m currently a columnist for palatepress.com and contribute regularly to Decanter and Meininger Wine Business International.

I’ve also written for Punch Drink, Jancis Robinsontimatkin.com, Harpers online and Catavino.com amongst others.

Simon J Woolf, April 2017, Amsterdam. Photo by Han Furnee.
Photo: Han Furnee

This site is a love letter to great wine and wine making. 95% of wine on the market is a mass-produced commodity. But it’s the other 5%, made by passionate individuals who value quality and craft, that makes the subject endlessly fascinating and fun to write about. I celebrate these winemakers wherever I find them, and hope that you will be encouraged to try their wines.

If you want to know more about me, read this interview by Wink Lorch, which first appeared in CWW quarterly.

I am happy to accept paid drinks journalism and wine writing assignments, please get in touch. No, I am not going to write for your website/magazine for free, nor do I accept sponsored content or guest posts at this time.

Is this blog just about Bordeaux then?

Well, fairly obviously, no. The very first entry in this blog was claret-related, and written for a competition held by Fine and Rare wines. I didn’t win, but at least it got me started. The title merely reflects my first love in wine and warped sense of humour. Sorry about that.

Awards and commendations

Best editorial/opinion wine writing in the 2015 Born Digital Awards.

Shortlisted for the Roederer International wine writing “Emerging wine writer” award 2013

This piece for Palate Press was awarded Best Post by the Etna DOC Consorzio, at the 2012 EWBC Digital Wine Conference.

World’s least influential wine blog (self-awarded, 2016).

Disclosure & other site policies

I don’t accept payment for any reviews or content published on this site, and where samples or hospitality were provided, this is mentioned at the bottom of the article.

I do accept samples, but please do not send them unsolicited. I review all samples on vivino without exception, but no other coverage is guaranteed.

Copyright information

All content on this website is © Simon Woolf unless otherwise stated. Please contact me if you wish to use a photograph or reproduce any of my writing.

Download high resolution publicity photos

Simon J Woolf - Publicity Photo 2 by Han Furnee Simon J Woolf - Publicity Photo by Han Furnee

Sharing is caring . . .